The Bigness


A few weeks ago I sat comforting and hugging this sweet little 6 year old as she mourned the fact that all the other kids in this house have been turned into boring, playless, big kids. "It's the biggness" she sobbed as one after another told her they didn't want to go outside and play her games.


I'm sure some of this intense emotion is related to her best friend and cousin being at the hospital every time the rest of her cousins come to visit. It's been an emotional few months for all of us. We do our best to make sure they have time together when Abby is home and healthy. And her siblings really do play with her quite a bit, if not always on her terms.


I haven't done a very good job of sticking with my promise to go outside and take wintery pictures every day. I can blame it on the fact that I left my camera at my brother's...again. (Though this time was to visit a sweet new niece) Or, on the fact that, even if we love the snow, it's been really, really, cold. But, I won't. I could still make it happen and I'm a little bummed that I haven't.


So, on this particular day last week. A day when the temperatures rose just a hair. A day that a brother and sisters, suffering a bad case of the bigness, absorbed in their video games and books and projects, each replied no to the pleadings of a little sister. On this sunny, beautifully blue and white day, I said yes. And what a grand adventure we had.


We traveled the globe in our own backyard, played with the animals in her imagination and even built a home, a place to lay our heads, before our journey ended just as the sun dipped below the treeline. It was beautiful and magical and just the thing I needed to shrink my own bigness, embrace the day and the season, and fall in love, once again, with this beautiful life.

2 comments:

  1. aw, the bigness. <3 makes me feel bad for tormenting my younger sister and telling her if she didn’t do what *i* wanted, i would go read. ;o)

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? I was a big sister too. I remember being most annoyed with my sister following me everywhere. I was always checking behind my back and felt like she was there even if she wasn't. Maybe if I'd just turned around and gave her some attention she would've stop following me, or at least walked next to me instead. lol

      Delete