Scrap Monster Sew Along

Want to join me in a little Halloween Scrap Monster Sew Along? In an attempt to encourage myself to use my art/craft/making time more productively I have decided to invite you to make with me :) I have never done a sew along type thing so any tips will be appreciated. The plan is to post a video, along with short blog post for those who don't love watching videos, of the steps I go through to make my cute monsters. [edited: We have been having some technical difficulties with the videos. :( I might get up the nerve to do a live Instagram thing so follow me there if you must have videos, or you want to see what a goof I am]


Day one: Gather your supplies

If you sew you probably have all sorts of scraps available for your scrap monster. My favorite scraps are the oddly shaped leftover bits that seem useless for most projects. If you don't sew regularly you can use old clothing or buy remnants at a fabric store for a discounted price.

This is a great project for trying to work with fabric you've never used before because really anything goes. If you twist your knit fabric, it only adds to the character of your monster. If your needle pulls threads on a fine satin and it runs, it gives a bit of gruesome wear and tear to the monster. Plus you get a lesson in choosing the proper needle.

The point is don't over think it and have fun letting go of the usual rules for sewing. This is really my sewing happy place. I love making a perfect piece from a perfect pattern, but a carefree, rules free project like this gives my creative mind a nice big stretch. So gather any bits of ribbon, fabric, scavenged zippers and buttons and start playing around with a design.


Supplies List:
  • Fabric scraps
  • Fabric scissors
  • Stuffing
  • Thread
  • Embroidery floss
  • Needles
  • Pins
  • Sewing machine (unless hand sewing)
Possible extras:
  • Bits of lace or ribbon
  • Wire
  • Zippers
  • Buttons
  • Beads
  • Felt
  • Fusible interfacing
  • Leftover biased binding
  • Yarn scraps
Gather your supplies and start brainstorming. I like to use the odd shapes in the scrap fabric, you know that corner left behind when you cut out a skirt, or the curved part from a sleeve. Use the shapes of your scraps to help determine the shape of the monster. Most important remember to have fun, there's no wrong way to make a scrap monster. (If you haven't figured it out already you don't really need me but it's fun to sew together anyway right)
 

Snap some pictures and share them on Instagram, or FB, or Twitter, or the comments here. Make sure to #monstersewalong so we can all share in the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment