A New Cover for the Ironing Board

It's silly how happy this new ironing board cover makes me. I've never made one before, I've never really thought much of ironing boards, and spending time and money to recover one always seemed, well, silly.

This one will be hanging on a wall, within easy reach of the sewing table, and I thought it would be a fun opportunity to show off some pretty fabric. It was a lot tougher than I thought it'd be to choose and I'm surprised I chose this one actually, it's pinker than I usually like, but all those greens and browns, love it.

It was super quick and easy, I didn't do anything fancy and I'm pretty sure anyone could figure it out on their own, but quickly, here's what I did.

I traced the old cover, and by traced I mean I layed the old cover on top of my new fabric and cut, no pins or anything. I made it slightly wider than the original because it seemed to slide up on the sides at times. I had some bias tape laying around so I sewed that to the edge leaving a gap at the top, threaded the rope from the old cover through that with a large tapestry needle and pulled tight.

There you have it, started and finished quickly on a Saturday afternoon while the kids watched a movie and the hubs brewed some beer. Oh the beer, I'll have to tell you about the beer soon. I'm so glad he's back to brewing.


  1. Love this idea! (I've always thought store-bought ironing board covers were boring) I'll have to try it!

  2. It really is so satisfying Erin. Quick and simple, and makes such a huge difference. I actually smiled when I pulled it out to iron yesterday. :)